Monday, March 12, 2007

follow-up

Ok. I took her back and we saw the doc this time and I think I feel much better!
So Rachel is in a great mood until she gets on that table and then she gets so upset! She must remember getting shots or something? Anyway, the nurse measures her at 26 inches. So now Rachel shrunk a half inch. Ah, this way of measuring babies is so unscientific. She measures her again and comes up with that same 26.5 number. The doc comes in and explains that her numbers are really all over the place. Her head is the same way. She had dropped to the 10%ile last time in that area and now is back up to the 50%ile. He said this is not unusual and he did notice she had not grown in length but he takes little stock in that until a consistent pattern develops. He would show concern if the number was the same at 12 mos . He says he sees patterns similar to Rachel's all the time and it means nothing.

And the best part is that he re-measured her and talked about how to measure a baby properly. Keep her head straight - make sure she isn't looking up or down. Hold her tummy to the table and stretch her leg out making sure her foot is at a complete 90 degree angle. Her toes being out could take inches off her length since that pushes her heel inward. So he measures her *properly* and comes up with 27.5 inches! He said measuring is not an exact science but he would put money on the fact that his number is the most accurate as nurses tend to rush through it sometimes - especially with a baby who is crying. You really have to put a lot of pressure on her to keep her flat, not turning her head or moving her legs/feet when they are upset.

And so I come home and measure her *properly* as we discussed and I also came up with 27.5 inches. That puts her height and weight around the mid 50%ile. At 27.5 inches she measures exactly what Jason measured at the same age. I would bet that many of her past measurements were off. I think I will request this doctor do her measurements from now on.
I am very relieved. For now. :)

No comments: