Thursday, August 27, 2009

first day, first grade






I know Jason is *only* 6 but I never thought the day would come where he would be in "grade school". Kindergarten, since it was only half day, seemed more like an extension of Childtime. This transition to first grade seems huge to me! He will be there all day... school starts at 8:55 and ends at 3:55. He will eat lunch at school. I went online and put money on his "meal card". Thankfully, I learned at orientation that the teacher keeps the meal card and puts it on the child's tray at lunch and takes it back when he has his lunch!

Jason seemed soooo excited to start school. But he cried the night before (even though he was fine all day)which totally made me worry about him all day! His teacher was still sick so he had a guest teacher too. Still, he came home very excited and happy but appeared totally exhausted. At bed time, he became very clingy and was crying again... he says its not about first grade but about bad dreams he has. I am sure the transition is hard on him. He is such an outgoing little boy, but he is not comfortable at all in situations where he doesn't know anyone. I am so proud of him for really sticking in there.... he wants to go, he is trying hard. This is a lot of change for someone so young.

First grade... wow. Every day now, I can see into the future and I look at today and realize I am living in the days I will soon miss greatly. If I could freeze time, I would do it right now. They just grow up SO fast and poor mommy wants to keep them little forever....

No comments: