The "entrance" to the puppy room....
Jason got to spend time in his classroom today. Miss Bollmer was greeting the kids at the door. That is her with the black shirt on in the back of the picture. Jason ran into all his friends from preschool at this orientation but they are ALL split up into different rooms. He doesn't know anyone in his class. Strangely enough, the man who is sitting at the table behind Jason in this picture was at Jason's soccer practice tonite! (I certainly didn't know that when I snapped this picture!) He came up to me and said he noticed me at the school today and asked about Jason and what class he is in. His son, Ethan, who Jason plays soccer with, is ALSO in the puppy room! Jason hasn't talked much with him but we "formally" introduced them tonite and told them they should seek each other out on Thursday. I feel a little better that there will a somewhat familiar face for Jason on his first day.
We ran into Landon every time we turned a corner at the school today! The kids played together on the playground for a little bit. Today was truly overwhelming for me. Steve started a new job on Monday, so he couldn't go. I think that all this time I thought that kindergarten really isn't such a HUGE change because Jason has been in preschool for several years. Even when I went to the general orientation a few months ago, and toured the school, I STILL didn't get the sense that this was such a big deal. But today I REALLY did. I wasn't prepared for Jason's "scared" reaction to his teacher even though he has done that with other strangers in the past. When I dropped Jason off at preschool afterwards, I spent quite a bit of time talking to Miss Elizabeth, the Center Director. She explained the kindergarten procedures in relation to the center. First of all - Jason is going to be in a completely different class at the center now. He will be in the "school age" room in the afternoons. She explained the ins and outs of the first day - the very LONG wait for the buses since parents are taking pictures of their kids at every bus stop. She said the kids all come back starving because they do not get any food at kindergarten. She said some fall asleep on the bus because the change is overwhelming and they are exhausted with the possible long bus ride back those first few weeks. There are major checks and balances on the school's part to assure that each child gets on the right bus that it can be a 45 minute or longer bus ride in the first few weeks. Jason has to wear a tag on him for 2 weeks that shows his bus numbers, his class number, teacher, etc. (what if he loses it??) And along with his teacher there are several others checking and double checking each child to assure he or she is in the right place. There will be hundreds of volunteers working at the school in the first few weeks to help with this process.
So, Jason is expected to learn to get off the bus and go to his proper room in a very large school. He has to learn to be in an unfamiliar environment, adjust to it, make new friends, act appropriately and learn as much as he can. After school, he has to learn to find and get on his proper bus. It all sounds very normal and the exact path children take in this "growing up" process but sadly, I realized today that I am just not ready for this!! I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that he is actually old enough to take this huge leap in his life.
Someone at work reminded me today that "millions upon millions of kids have done this before him...." I know......but.....it's simply not the same when it's your own child! (ok, pouting is over!) It really does frighten me to think he might be very scared when he is there and will have to rely on strangers to console him. But that's how we grow up, right? A big part of me knows he will be just fine. I have to keep concentrating on that to get me through this week because really, Jason, himself, seems VERY excited to go. I haven't sensed any hesitation on his part, even after today, so I am going to put my faith in him and hope for the very best.
I think it's very true that the first day of kindergarten is one of the hardest days for a mother. I have been told that before and just didn't really believe it..... until today.



.gif)


1 comment:
oh mommy you are so right .i still remember when all 3 boys left for school the very first day.it was so scarry. but we do get through it somehow,and hug them extra hard when they do get home.i hope jason's first day goe's great.love gram s
Post a Comment