Friday, August 1, 2008

tennis

Tonite, we had the opportunity to go to the Master Series Tennis Tournament here in Mason. Anthem and our health insurance broker sets me up with great seats and admission to their hospitality tent every year. We had a great dinner, drinks, and got a chance to watch Rafael Nadel (#2) play Nicolas Lapenti.

The first set was GREAT. It ended with Nadel winning in a tiebreak. We then left to walk around a bit, get another drink, etc. We were gone about 15 minutes. When we came back, it was 2 games away from being over. Nadel was up 5-1. How did that happen that we missed the entire second set??

I did have a brush with future "greatness". Ernests Gulbis, currently ranked at #53, came into our hospitality tent right after he won his match. He is a 19 year old up-and-comer from Latvia. People around us were saying he is destined to be one of the next greatest superstars in tennis. He has advanced to the quarterfinals in this match for his first appearance in a Masters quarterfinal and *I* got my picture taken with him....

Isn't THAT special?? :)

1 comment:

Elijah, Adrielle, and Ezra Rhodus said...

That is awesome! I was able to go with my Aunt Gail on Thursday night. Nadal played Haas. It was a great match! I love tennis! Glad you had a great time!