Tuesday, June 24, 2008

SHRM conference


The SHRM Conference and Exposition was the most amazing, intense, and worthwhile conference and exposition I have ever attended! It's truly an art to learn how to manage your way through it with 15,000 other attendees and somehow get a seat at the sessions you want to see, but it was amazing. Planning to get a simple diet coke, somewhere in the biggest convention center in the US, has to be a well thought out plan and process. I did not want, nor plan, to stand in line for more than 30 minutes at any one place for any one thing, so I did somehow master that art. Thank God, I am not a Starbucks customer! That line literally was never shorter than at least 100 people no matter what time I walked past it...

BUT...I learned so much .. even at the Expo with all the products and services I didn't even know existed. I was absolutely blown away by the magnitude of it and the content of the sessions. Most of the presenters were authors of a book on their respective topic. I will definitely be back next year when it is in New Orleans!

And yes... I did go to the Lionel Richie concert Tuesday night. It was a concert put on just for the SHRM group and it was a lot of fun because (as Lionel said....) "we will bring you back to the Commodore's days and all the music from the 80s!" eeeeeek! Dancing on the Ceiling.... I think the group was a bunch of "fuddy duddys" who were my age?? ;)

The SHRM conference was so big that the city of Chicago even welcomed us to the Windy City with signs up and down the downtown streets! (the picture above). It truly was one of the best educational experiences in my career thus far.

I promise you that a video of Lionel Richie is forthcoming.... ;) You can't wait... can you???

No comments: